Google Search

Custom Search

September 3, 2012

Dehydrating dog treats is Better

by Sharon W.
(Michigan)
I've been making my own dog treats since the big dog food recall a few years ago. I quit buying anything from China and as far as jerky treats go, it may be a little more expensive, but so much cheaper (and SAFER) in the long run. You won't have to worry about huge vet bills, trying to save your pets life after giving him unsafe treats made in China.
To make Chicken Jerky, I simply fillet boneless, skinless chicken breasts very thin and place them on my Dehydrator trays. I use the Meat setting on my dehydrator, and let them dehydrate for about 6 hours, or until all moisture has evaporated and they are nice and crispy. I store them in an airtight container without refrigeration.
I also do my own version of the "Yam Goods"-using both fresh yams and baby carrots. The Yams I peel, cut into 2-3" strips, and the baby carrots I usually cut in half lengthwise, and take a small piece of filleted chicken which I wrap around the veggie and again place it on a Dehydrator tray. Time length is about the same, but I do place those in an airtight container (even a Ziploc baggie will do) and then refrigerate them.
My dogs love them, I know they are getting healthy treats, and the effort and time involved is worth the safety factor. Haven't tried to make the chicken wrapped Apple treats yet, but that's coming :)

   


View the original article here

1 comment:

  1. Really, I am impressed from this post. The person who create this post is truly great. Thanks for sharing this with us. I found this informative and interesting blog so I think its very useful and knowledgeable. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.

    ReplyDelete

Like Us on Facebook

Google Search

Custom Search